Here is information and helpful links about The Zaky ZAK®, the safety device for holding babies that weigh from 1 to 15 lbs.
The Zaky ZAK® is the only evidence-based device engineered to hold babies (skin to skin or clothed) in the hospital and then at home. It was engineered by Yamile Jackson, a Ph.D. in ergonomics engineering and [kangaroo] mother of Zachary who was born at 28 weeks and spent 5 months in the NICU.
It provides an ergonomic micro-environment for safety, warmth, love, healing, nutrition, development, growth, and protection for babies weighing 1 to 15 lbs.
The simple, adjustable, quiet, easy to use, strong, and practical design with zippers:
- Ensures perfect fit every time.
- Enables easy and quiet access at all times.
- Does not use Velcro (Velcro® is loud, disruptive, difficult to reposition, and loses strength with every wash) or ties (ties create pressure points)
- Minimizes human errors.
- Significantly reduces risks of falls or injury.
- Provides a predictable and safe experience for clinicians, parents and patients before, during, and after holding.
Learn more about:
- The Zaky ZAK®
- Independent Clinical evidence show significant improvement of duration, frequency, parent satisfaction and used for patients with heart disease and term babies after going home.
- Publication: Parent-Training with Kangaroo Care [using The Zaky ZAK] Impacts Infant Neurophysiological Development & Mother-Infant Neuroendocrine Activity
- Publication: Neonatal Skin-to-Skin Contact [With The Zaky ZAK]: Implications for Learning and Autonomic Nervous System Function in Infants With Congenital Heart Disease
- POSTER: "Improving The Frequency And Duration Of Skin To Skin Holding To Promote Parental Confidence In NICU" with The Zaky ZAK
- The Zaky ZAK - 2 page printable training
- New Standard: Parents should be allowed to fall asleep during SSC or Kangaroo Care (KC)". The Zaky ZAK is the only device with a 5 step process to follow and allow parents to safely nap in the hospital while supervised.
- 4 reasons why The Zaky ZAK is the best Kangaroo Care Device
- Sizing of The Zaky ZAK
- The Zaky ZAK for Delivery, OR, and Postpartum.
- The Zaky ZAK for intubated babies
- Kangaroo Care/Skin to Skin with The Zaky ZAK
- What is "Eat/Sleep/Console Method of Care" for babies experiencing NAS?
- Why does The Zaky ZAK have zippers?
- How to evaluate a Kangaroo Care Device
- 5 things parents should do before holding in kangaroo care/skin to skin contact
- POSTER: Science Behind Kangaroo Care
- 10 Point Checklist for Baby’s Safe Positioning During Kangaroo Care with the Zak ZAK
- Birth Kangaroo Care Competency Checklist
- The Zaky ZAK, the RAPP tool, and the Sudden Unexpected Postnatal Collapse (SUPC) risk during birth skin-to-skin contact.
The International Hip Dysplasia Institute (IHDI) acknowledges The Zaky ZAK as a "hip-healthy" product.