From babies to senior citizens, we all need to feel loved, may experience separation anxiety and may have trouble sleeping during this worrisome time. Parents of NICU babies are the only source of comfort, sense of security and love for their babies.
The Zaky can help when you are together and apart.
Your touch changes everything!
Zachary with us in 2001
I know the agony of having a baby in the NICU during a disaster (not a pandemic, though)
Zachary was born weighing less than 2 lbs and 3 weeks later a flood shut down his life support equipment. He was still in the NICU on September 11, 2001. Now he is graduating from high school during a pandemic. (He starts engineering in the Fall) Here is our story
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has discussed and prepared new guidance with over 100 experts from major institutions around the world. Click here to see the WHO guidance on this matter, sections 11 and 12. In brief, based on current data there is no reason for separating babies from their mothers and not practicing skin-to-skin care at birth, KMC for preterm babies and breastfeeding. Even when infants get colonized by parents the risk of Covid-19 for them is low and the benefits of no separation, Kangaroo Mother Care and breastfeeding are higher than the risks posed by Covid-19 in this age group. Separation carries risks too.
- We had made great strides to treat parents as essential team members that care for the baby and this is not the time to regress. Please look at the evidence of kangaroo care.
- Moms cannot be denied to breastfeed and they do that skin to skin. Kangaroo care is the best way to make more and better milk, and to promote breastfeeding. "We know that breastfeeding occurs during skin to skin and COVID-19 virus does not go into breast milk. Continuing to breastfeed may save lives by building immunity functions. Kangaroo Care (skin to skin) has similarly been shown with doubt to support and foster better immune functions by eliminating separation=based stress and by the release of oxytocin alone which goes to immune centers to promote healthy immune functions." Susan M. Ludington, PhD, FAAN
- Parents must follow the same safety and access protocol as the rest of the healthcare team: "If a parent of a baby in the NICU has a fever or upper respiratory symptoms, they should not even be in the hospital. If they have no symptoms of illness, skin-to-skin holding is just as important as it ever was."
- We don't know how long this pandemic will last, and Kangaroo Care should increase as it is an evidence-based intervention that changes the life of a family for a lifetime.
That $20 gift is for a purchase of The Zaky HUG and/or The Zaky ZAK
Like everyone else, our NICU babies need to feel loved, nurtured and protected.
We know how it is to have a NICU baby while there is a disaster and we are here to support babies and their families.
Our son Zachary was born 3 weeks before the flood of Tropical Storm Allison that shut-off the hospital and Zachary's life support equipment. He was also in the NICU during September 11, 2001. Here is his story.
IF YOU CAN GO INSIDE THE NICU: Kangaroo Care as it is the recommendation of the WHO and the experts in Kangaroo Care. Use The Zaky ZAK to secure the baby so you can hold for longer period of time and the NICU staff is not worried about the safety of the baby.
IF YOU CANNOT GO INSIDE THE NICU, use The Zaky HUG:
- (optional) Use a permanent marker to write your name or the baby's name on the fabric of The Zaky HUG.
- Wash The Zaky HUG in the wash bag provided.
- Hold The Zaky HUG to your skin (chest or neck) for an hour to impregnate your scent.
- Insert it in the ziplock bag provided and drop it off so The Zaky HUG comforts your baby when you can't.
There is evidence that using The Zaky HUG significantly improves self regulation and decreases apnea, bradycardia, and pain physiological indicators. The Zaky HUG supports the baby's calmness and sleep and keeps you connected even when you are not there.
Get 2 hands for hospitalized babies in the NICU, PICU, CICU, etc., and well newborns.
Use coupon code "WELOVEYOUZACH" at checkout.
Fine Print for gift code WELOVEYOUZACH
- $20.00 gift certificate for The Zaky HUG or/and The Zaky ZAK
- The Zaky cannot be sold, rented, or charged.
- Applies once per order
- Applies once per customer
- Active from March 19 to April 5, 2020 or while supplies last
- Not valid with any other offer
- Valid globally only at www.thezaky.com
- Void where prohibited.
- This is a gift on behalf of Zachary Jackson