Benefits for the parents include:
- Enhanced attachment and bonding (Tessier et al., 1998).
- Resilience and feelings of confidence, competence, and satisfaction regarding baby care (Tessier et al., 1998; Conde Agudelo, Diaz Rossello, & Belizan, 2003; Kirsten, Bergman, & Hann, 2001).
- Increased milk volume, doubled rates of successful breastfeeding and increased duration of breastfeeding (Mohrbacher & Stock, 2003).
- Physiologically her breasts respond to her infant's thermal needs (Ludington-Hoe et al., 2006).
- Profoundly beneficial for adoptive parents with critically ill preterm infant (Parker L, Anderson GC. , 2002).
Benefits for the babies include: